Saturday, September 19, 2009

Redeemer Almost Home of the Braves

When I first got my Redeemer summer newletter to read there would be a baseball tournament, I was a half past ecstatic then, finally be able to smack a nice 9 inch out the park and beyond. Last time I played baseball at the school, in my freshman year there, dudes were catching my monkey pitches and swings off the side of Augustine Hall, a la West Hill from Siberia Parking Lot, without any windows smashed or damaged. For the first time ever, I came into the student roundup on Labour Day happy as ever, ready to sign up for playing a sport at the institution, but wait man, was I truly in for quite the surprise.

Looking over at the guys by the intramural signup table, I noted the words softball and immedately my heart sunk, with no other real choice, I signed up anyhow just to do some batting practice in for the year, adding right under skill level in the game 0.

So, there we all were playing coed intramural softball as the Braves, taking out the Cardinals, Angels and Expos at James Smith Park on Garner and Fiddlers Green from 9 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon, maxing, relaxing and suntaxing into the playoffs. Breaking from our Division 1 play, we got over to Meadowlands Park and rocked the semi final at 4, winning after I stole some bases then almost got caught in a rundown, only to get the ball beaned of the top of my head, which brought in the winning run and me home too. At 6 however, we got smoked in the championship final, though I made three catches at the end to keep it close, all of which made me wish I had never picked up a softball bat in my life and hopefully never again make that same mistake.